Sunday, July 14, 2013

Balance...I have none!

It's been a while since I've blogged about anything. This summer has been fairly busy and (insert several other excuses here). I seem to be having a problem finding balance both figuratively and literally. I love that I'm not having to track anyone's grades or extracurricular mandatory activities, as I have to do during the school year, however things are still hectic for whatever reason. Brian and Keegan both work and finding opportunity to do things together is very difficult and somewhat discouraging. Brian has had to travel quite a bit and Keegan is in the food industry so his hours vary. James, one of our extra "sons", had to have surgery at the beginning of the summer and so has been in recoup mode for the last few weeks. I have had the annoying addition of bouts of vertigo and a fairly aggressive ear infection that doesn't seem to want to go away. I took some heavy duty meds for a couple of weeks, but as I sit here there is still quite a bit of pressure and the walls of my house occasionally jump out and get me. Let's hope that will end soon.

With everyone, except Kieran, being adults now finding opportunity to spend time together as a family has all but diminished. Our family meals which have always been opportunity to connect at the end of the day often include several empty chairs these days. I'm begrudgingly adjusting to this new lifestyle. I miss my babies, but I'm really proud of the men the are becoming. They are for the most part responsible productive members of our society as they should be. We, as parents, seem to be doing our job right.

All is not lost, though. In the midst of it all we find little pockets of time to be together. We have family nights watching a movie or playing games, even if we are missing someone. We just spent several days in our camper out at Spring Mill, IN. It was so nice and quiet. We spent our time playing games, walking the park, eating yummy food, and just generally stayed disconnected from our normal life. There was no wi-fi and very limited cell service and that was OK with us. Keegan is in Honduras on a mission trip so the only updates we really wanted were from their leader. It was hard to come back. I like my kids, I miss them because I really like them. I like to visit with them and cut up about silly stuff. I like having conversations with them whether it be in depth or nonsense. I like watching them interact with each other. I like that we are happy to be together when we can be. I like that Kevin wants to come home from college and hang out with us. It's not the quantity of time I hoped for, but I'm going to make sure the quality is there. Maybe we can't do everything with everyone, but the things we can do...we're all in!

Until next time,
Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment