Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I Swear!

My name is Julie Brentise, and I say bad words.

Whew! I'm so glad I got that off my chest. I don't know if there is a 12 step program for this but it seems there should be. I really struggle with this particular bad habit. I try to blame it on many things: I have red hair, it's my Cajun genes, it's a day that ends in day. Ultimately, I know I am responsible for my own language and yet, as the great Ron White would say, "I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability."

I don't use bad language in every day conversation,  but if I get worked up about something I suddenly lack any sort of intelligent vocabulary. Wait... that's not true, I absolutely can speak intelligently about anything AND pepper it with 4 letter words, too. I'm bilingual like that. For the most part, I'm pretty level headed, but if someone picks at my husband, my kids or kids I care about... it's on! I'll start telling Brian about some injustice that happened to one of the kids and turn into a sailor. Whoa! I'm not mad at him he doesn't need to hear my potty mouth. My older boys have heard these conversations as well, I'm usually coming to someone's defense but could certainly choose better words. Later, I feel the need to go back and apologize for my language. Good grief! Knock it off! And here's a proud moment, apparently "damn it" seems to be my go to word(s), I know this because my 3 year old uses it...sigh... and he uses it correctly (I'm a little proud of that part). GREAT!! Not the kind of teachable moments I'm looking for.

I've decided I need an intervention. I'm hoping those of you that know me will call me out when you hear me swearing, of course if I'm really wound up you may want to back up a little first. In the meantime, I will just keep asking the Lord to keep his arm around my shoulder and His hand over my mouth.

Until next time,
Julie


2 comments:

  1. That's what I needed yesterday in a school meeting about Casey's English teacher. It was 4 against little old me. Kind of made me wonder why a the teacher needed her union rep in the room with us. So, URep, teacher, School Principal, and English Dept Head > Me. Is it any wonder I do not feel the solution was satisfying? Now, the words I used once in the car on a call to Phil were very blue! But while at school I was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have patience for that kind of thing either, Chris. I also don't have a good poker face so my attitude tends to swear even when I'm keeping my mouth in check. Ha!

    ReplyDelete