Monday, February 18, 2013

What Time Zone Am I In?

Since we've moved here, I have a new appreciation for the time zones. That red line that meanders through the state is the time zone line. We live in Knox County which is in the SW part of IN, we are the last purple colored county in the SW corner there...you see it? Our town is on the west side of Knox just about the middle.

I'm not smart enough to live here!

If you go west, time change, there is a state border there, very obvious. Got it! If you go south 20 miles, time change...wait...what? I'm still in Indiana. I had to drop someone off for a meeting in Princeton and didn't realize the time had changed, I thought I got them there REALLY EARLY. Thankfully, I didn't, because he is smarter than I am and already did the math for me, it was fine. We have friends who live in Evansville (CT) and for awhile her husband worked in Edwardsport (ET). We first met them at a restaurant before we moved here, she asked him what time it was and he said 5:30 HER time...Ok?! For several years they lived on her time/his time. Wow, tough gig! We also go to church with some great people who live on the Illinois side. They work there and school there, they shop both sides and church here. I think I would need 2 watches. (Or maybe just a better functioning brain.)

Thankfully, all of my daily activity takes place in one time zone. We occasionally head to Evansville so we can go to the mall or have more variety in restaurants.  My favorite is heading to SC, I drive south into Central Time, then head East, and drive awhile before I'm back into Eastern Time. Ok, sure, whatever...

You get the hang of it after awhile and you get used to hearing "Be there at (?) my time" or "your time". The first few months were a bit of a headache, though.

All I know is... it's 5 o'clock somewhere.
Until next time,
Julie

2 comments:

  1. I am sooo glad we are now on the same time. No more setting his alarm clock on ET and mine on CT. No more his car on ET and mine on CT. No more him in bed at 9:00 my time, 10:00 his time. More important, he is back "home", where he loves his job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled for you guys, Chris! Don't know how you did it for as long as you did!

    ReplyDelete